Monday, February 13, 2012

It's been a long time!

I haven't posted to this blog in a looong time! Why is this? Have I given up on my love of salamanders? No! There are two things that come into play here: 1) I've been busy with other areas of my life, and 2) The salamanders haven't been very active around these parts. So there isn't much new here regarding field herping accounts.

On the captive side of things, I have been trying to get my Northern Red Salamanders (Pseudotriton ruber ruber) to breed, with no success. I have four adults. Although sexing Pseudotriton is difficult, I believe I have at least one female due to her large size. Currently, I have my Northern Reds in an aquatic setup. This comprises of a 10 gallon aquarium with a substrate of river rock (I bought mine in bulk at Lowe's). On top of the substrate, I stacked native limestone rocks to provide lots of nooks, crannies, and caves. The salamanders seem to be enjoying their living conditions, but no courtship so far.

Other than that, there is not much news here. I am patiently waiting for salamander season to start back up here in southwestern Missouri!

No comments:

Post a Comment